Friday, January 27, 2017

My First At Home Workout, Finding My Right Now

by Kris Pitcher

I'm no dummy. I go to the gym for my workouts because I KNOW I won't do it at home. Now, cardio is off the table in this discussion. That happens right in my living room. Where else would you keep your stair master?

But I have the luxury of a bad situation prompting me to do something I should have done a long time ago. Visit my sister in Alaska. Waking in my own little apartment above the shop, I discover my very own at home workout.

Turns out the stair master mimics...actual stairs! My fasted cardio was glute focused stair work. Up. Down. Up. Down. And so on, and so on. It felt different than my machine. And it also winded me. I didn't have the machine setting my pace. I had to do that on my own. Success!

As I got into my rhythm it dawned on me, it takes a different level of commitment and motivation to make this happen at home. With countless diversions I can be the Queen of procrastination. Later never does come, does it?

After my cardio I got out my band and my TRX. It was time to get creative. Since my glutes were already "awake" I decided to keep working them.

In a ceremonial fashion, I put a towel down on the area rug (in what is my mother's quilting studio). I resurrected my memories of leading group exercise. I recalled the days when my participants would moan, groan and curse my instruction.

I continued to "activate" my glutes in a variety of ways, and positions until I could only curse myself. Then I was off to the TRX. This is an amazing tool. I did some additional "bridge" work along with some bridge abduction work.

Frankly, I was pretty pleased with myself. Not for my creativity, or for recalling the floor exercises, or not actually cursing myself...but for simply doing it. At home.

I could have waited. I could have put it off until maybe we visited my sister's gym. But later doesn't come. We only have our right now. That's why I'm here visiting. Right now.

We can't put things off. Procrastination doesn't serve us. Doing the things we don't want to do because they are hard, or scary, or require change isn't an option. Waiting until something is comfortable means never. Because things are never comfortable.

For all you doing your workouts at home, I have a new understanding and respect for the level of motivation that requires. I'm energized by what creativity I'll find in my at home workouts over the next few days.

Think about the things in your life you might be putting off. What is keeping you from moving forward? Take one step toward action toward them. We really only have our right now. Find yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment