Friday, February 21, 2014

Getting Lucky

by Kris Pitcher

An interesting question came across my path this week. Do you feel like you're lucky? As a panelist in an interview process, this question was a favorite of one of the other participants. I have a number of thoughts about this...

The first was, "What color are you?" Followed by, "Are you a square or a triangle?" Innovative corporations like to ask questions to which there are no real answers. But this one, I do have strong feelings about.

Do you feel like you're lucky? Do things happen to you, or do you make things happen? I have a lot of ideas about this. I believe strongly that you attract things to you. I believe in the self fulfilling prophecy. I believe you create opportunity.

I am also acutely aware of my fortune. I am fortunate to live in a place where I have certain freedoms and liberties. I am fortunate to have been born into the middle class family I was born into. Luck? Not really. Definitely fortune.

As for being lucky in life...that's a question of how you see things. Do you see opportunity in situations? Or do you fall to your knees in desperation when things go bad. When something is presented to you, do you take a new direction...or are you stuck where you are?

Can you will things, or attract things, to you? I believe you can. When you focus on certain things, your energies go toward those things bringing them to you. When you want something, putting it at the forefront of your thought allows you to create patterns, habits, choices, which draw it to you.

Is that luck? Or have you created that? So, I believe in fortune, but luck? Not so sure. I believe you create opportunity. I believe people who appear to have "luck" have worked very hard to attract certain things to their lives.

Luck, fortune and happiness are not to be confused. I know some people who have lots of fortune, but no happiness. Plenty of people who have what would be considered by many to be good luck certainly live their lives out in an unhappy, unfulfilled way. Again, it's all in how you see it.

So, do you feel like you're lucky? It's an interesting question. It's one I think about when I consider wanting what I have versus having what I want. It's one I think about as I make choices about who I spend time with, and how I prioritize.

Getting lucky is mostly about your perception of life. Your ideas about how you see yourself, what you do with opportunity, and what you will to yourself. What are you willing to work to create in your life? Go and get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment