Wednesday, April 9, 2014

How to Make Chicken Taste Good

by Kris Pitcher

Th age old question is, "How do you make chicken taste good?" People ask me all the time how I cook chicken and make it palatable. When you eat as much chicken as we all do, it's a fair question.

Those of you who know me, know I'm a utilitarian cook. And frankly, I've become a utilitarian eater. I don't have special recipes, methods, or secrets. My secret is - eat your chicken.

If it's dry, you're cooking it too long at too high a temperature. I bake our chicken without any seasoning. This works for me because I season each meal differently throughout the day. Ten o'clock, cinnamon, 12 pm curry powder, and 3 pm chili powder. What can I say, I'm easy.

Using the crock-pot is a good method, except my husband won't eat it that way. It keeps it nice and moist and you can cook it while you're sleeping. How smart is that? We cook in bulk every few days. It's a system that works in our household.

Some people cook fresh for every meal. Go for it. But I actually have a JOB and must work. Life is not like a bodybuilding lifestyle video, and I don't have people for that. I'm no Jay Cutler. Bulk cooking is smart.

However, I don't want 6 pounds of ground beef that is all flavored the same way. So, adding the spices after works for me. That is my recipe for success when it comes to variety. Depending on your plan, there are some really good low caloric ways to add life to your protein.

Salsa is a favorite, especially salsa verde. Hot sauce, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce...but only if those things are in your plan. Salt is never a problem. If your coach has you limiting salt any time except for the week before your show, you need a new coach.

Look for spice blends, and just cruise the herbs and spices in the grocery store to see what you've been missing. I have my favorites. I am a creature of habit and don't mind eating the same thing day after day (utilitarian). Cinnamon, chili powder, curry powder, smoked paprika...are some of my favorites.

Ultimately, eat your food. Get your entertainment somewhere else. Food is about fuel. Fuel for your goals. Eat it. Eat it cold in the car. Eat it out of a baggie in a bathroom stall. Eat it out of your purse in the movie theater. Eat it. Eat it. Eat it. Eat your food. If you hate it, this sport isn't for you. Eat your food. *smile

1 comment:

  1. I am the same exact way. I cook chicken in bulk and plain (for the most part) so that I can add spices and condiments as I feel the urge to. I keep all the varieties at home and at work so I can change my meals on a whim. It keep things as interesting as prep food can be. lol

    ReplyDelete