Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Sisterhood of the Offseason Pants

by Kris Pitcher


While lots of competitors around me are trimming down, I'm still bulking. It's a strange thing to be on a different schedule. But like much of my life, I'm on my own path. My timeline is different.


So while people are posting about fitting into their size (insert little size), well I'm moving in the other direction. In the direction of the sisterhood of the offseason pants.


Now, I'm not ashamed of what size I am. I don't put any emotion into a number. If I'm an 8, I'm an 8. Fine. If by chance I'm a 10 so be it. Big deal. But the problem isn't even size related in this sisterhood.


When I went recently to try slacks on, I couldn't even get them over my thighs. At first I put my clothes back on and went back out to the rack for a larger size. That size didn't fit either. Nor the next one up. Hmm?


Coming to the realization I am simply not the same shape as the pants on the rack, I left with none. It wasn't necessarily a size problem, but a shape problem. My butt is in the wrong place, my thighs are too big for the pants...and they are all either too long, or way too short.


Most offseasons I come to this same conclusion (after this same exercise) I have to just put the pants away. It's time to move on to my dresses, my skirts, unstructured knits and anything with stretch fabric combinations.


I can't wear my suits, and I won't be able to get my upper body into any structured jacket. I've broken the mold. It doesn't fit me. Rather than being frustrated by it, I find what does work for my figure. Somehow, somewhere, approximately ten years ago I bought a pair of slacks I still wear.


They're grey, have some stretch to them, are boot cut, have a low waist and have room in them for my butt. Other than that I run toward my knits, and love my dresses. And for all of you in the sisterhood of offseason pants, I know you've stood in the dressing room in complete disbelief at what was happening.


Unite sisters! Grow! And I wish you luck as you find exactly what fits your amazing shape. It won't be until well into my prep that this body fits back into slacks. And that's just fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment