Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Find Your Good Mood

by Kris Pitcher

There is something very meditative about the rhythmic movements of cardio exercise. Stay with me here. You know I am not the person who jumps out of bed at 5:00 AM with a smile on my face ready to hit the treadmill. Yet I do it every day. Why?

It makes me feel good. In fact, I think I need to do it for my sanity. It's in those rhythmic movements where I clear my head, think about the day ahead, solve the problems of the world, and stare off into the mountains to the south east. It makes me a better person.

The benefits of exercise aren't just the cardiovascular benefits to your heart and lungs, the calorie expenditure, or the endurance training. It can be where you find your good mood. Your body releases your feel good chemicals to set you up for a great day. I am always happy when I'm done.

There are very few times during the day when you are with your own thoughts. Most of the day you are doing for others...but your cardio time, is for you. I love that. Call me crazy but once I give myself the pep talk to get started, I'm good to go.

Enjoy the movement of your body, the cycle of your breathing, the calm of your mind and the respite you get from the world while you are exercising. This is truly sacred time. Give yourself a gift and go find your good mood!

No comments:

Post a Comment