Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Feel Younger Now!

by Kris Pitcher

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw


People all around me seem really old. Everyone is on their phone, texting or doing whatever they do to disconnect and not make eye contact. While we are the most communicative, emoticon filled world right now...we're really boring.

It's happened in part because we don't know how to have fun. Together. We know how to have fun playing Words With Friends. But, does that really count? Is that really being present in your life? I'm not so sure.

What are you doing in your life for the pure enjoyment? This is play. This is fun. You might be thinking of a few things. But here's the requirement, your mind (or body) are wholly active. Remember the last movie you "watched" at home. Right...you were on face book on your phone the whole time. You weren't engaged in the movie. You weren't present.

The thing about becoming present in those moments is it makes us feel younger. The simple pleasure of enjoying those things and being wholly active in them, makes us feel younger. It actually reduces stress and helps us connect internally.

There's a thought! One of the things I love about lifting is I am fully present, in mind and body, in the moment. I'm also fully present with my partner. That's real nice too ;)

Allowing yourself to be immersed in what you are doing brings a heightened sense of awareness to that thing. In the case of lifting you are making the mind-body connection, mind-muscle connection, which will take you to another level.

While I'm doing this...I'm not shuffling songs on a play list and I'm not on my phone, I am fully immersed - wholly active in what I am doing. I love this time. It makes me feel younger. You may define your play as something completely different, and that's great.

Look for the same qualities of being wholly active, and you will have found your sweet spot. You'll be feeling younger in no time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment