Thursday, October 1, 2015

Stage Etiquette, Wave and Nod

by Kris Pitcher

A lot of people wonder about the "wave" competitors do on stage. So, today we'll cover the wave and nod...stage etiquette.

This spring my husband bought me a motorcycle after having purchased one for himself. More than 20 years ago (a life time for some of you) I rode, but hung that up with lots of other things. There was however something I always loved about the culture. The wave.

As I reaquainted myself with riding I was thrilled with the wave. It took some time for me to loosen my death grip and be able to release my left hand, casually drop it down toward an oncoming rider...and flash a few fingers in the formation of the "peace" sign. The wave.

Once I got the hang of it I wanted to wave at everyone! I accidentally waved at a scooter once...I even wanted to wave at a baby who waved at me! Sometimes when I'm in my car, I forget and find myself wanting to wave at motorcyclists.

See, waving brings people together. It signifies, "I see you," "We're alike," and "We share a culture."

It's similar on stage. The wave, during prejudging, is an indication you heard the head judge call your number. It also signifies, when you are being moved on stage, to the other competitor where they will be going. Holding up your hand says, "I heard you, here I am, where are you."

Once your class has been judged, the wave - now to the judging panel says, "Thank you for judging me." and "I have an appreciation and respect for what just happened on stage, thank you." Then you exit the stage.

It's proper etiquette. The wave signifies respect and understanding. Now, you don't want to be waving at babies up there...like you're trying to get your friend's attention in a crowded train station. It's a poised wave.

It is accompanied by a courtsey. A SMALL courtsey. We're not dropping it like a squat here. We're not picking anything up off the floor or doing lunges. A tiny bend in the knee is all that's needed. For the guys, it's a little cooler.

But it's the same principle. The hand up signifies, I heard you, I'm here, where am I being asked to move to. No courtsey necessary, or advised, for the guys. And now you know about the culture of the wave. Ride on!

No comments:

Post a Comment