Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Gluten Free Waffles

by Kris Pitcher

I'm no Martha Stewart...but I made up this recipe and I've been really enjoying it. You should know I've been cheating. All prep, yes! Well, I like to consider it a re-feed really. The meal has a very specific purpose and this recipe not only fits the bill, it makes me dance.

You didn't know about the waffle dance? It happens on Saturday nights...provided there is a re-feed. The door is locked, the shades are drawn and the waffle iron is plugged in. It's time to train the muscles to take up the nutrients I'll load with in the days leading up to my contest.

Having taken gluten out of my diet this year (a personal choice), I manipulated this recipe to meet my specific needs. It's very adaptable and you can adjust the ingredients to meet your needs.

Gluten Free Waffles:
1 c white rice flour
1 c brown rice flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 c sweet potato (well cooked/mashed)
3 whole eggs
1 T coconut flavor
1 c (plus) water

Mix all ingredients and add water to desired consistency. I use coconut flavor because I ran out of vanilla and it happens to be really good. You can use any flavor you like. You can eliminate the egg yolk if you are interested in reducing the fat. You can also add natural apple sauce and cut some of the water, if you are allowed fruit. You can do the same thing with sour cream...yum. Manipulating it is all about what fits into your plan. Sometimes I throw in a scoop of protein powder, although this meal is not about protein, it's about carbs. Yummy, dancy, carby, carbs!

Last re-feed before Jr Nationals!
It will make about 6 waffles. You can also use the batter to make pancakes if you prefer those. You could use oat flour if you are re-feeding with oats...again, cooking is a science, but one you can alter.

For me, this meal is about increasing my fats and carbs. It is in the form of rice and sweet potato, which is the same fuel I'll load with leading up to my contest. I can prepare this batter, make pancakes, freeze and transport them with me. How smart am I?!

And here I am enjoying one of my last re-feeds leading up to Jr Nationals. Jacques insisted on taking a photo...even though I was VERY focused.

I put Smuckers "simply fruit" jam on them, along with a little bit of maple syrup, and Adams natural peanut butter. Hey, I'm not messing around! Moving forward on our way to the USA's there may be dry waffles...or no waffles at all.

I'm prepared for what ever I need to do in order to be ready to compete at the level I need to be at. But now you have my favorite recipe, and you can enjoy your gluten free waffles any way you like them! Cheers! Oh, and you can do the dance...or not, that IS optional.


No comments:

Post a Comment