Sunday, June 19, 2011

Shake It Up - Mojito Fresco!

by Kris Pitcher

In all fairness, I knew I would not be popular with my, "Healthy Cocktails" post. I could remind you of the time I got my mouth washed out with soap...


I could remind you of the time I yelled, "Thank You!" on the play ground, and Mrs. Hanna thought I yelled, "F@*k You!". What sixth grader would say that? Please.


Having a track record of shaking things up, being unpopular, or misunderstood is something I am willing to live with. I'll even hang my hat on it. Although with this hair...I don't really wear hats - it's a big commitment.


However, I thought it only fair to actually give you a recipe for a cocktail. So here's a summer cocktail with only 95 calories per serving...find 7 friends, it makes 8 servings, and shake it up!   

Mojito Fresco

The popular Cuban cocktail's combination of sweetness, citrus, and refreshing mint is the best way to fend off the summer heat wave.
Prep: 20 minutes
Chill: 1 hour
Makes: 8 servings
2 large limes, cut into pieces (reserve one piece)
2 cups water
2/3 cup sugar
2 cups water
1/4 to 1/2 cup light rum
Sugar
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
Ice cubes
Quartered limes and/or mint leaves (optional)
1. In a blender combine lime pieces, 2 cups water, and 2/3 cup sugar. Cover and blend about 30 seconds or until limes are chopped; do not puree. Strain through a sieve into a large pitcher. Mix in 2 cups additional water. Cover and chill for 1 to 12 hours.
2. Stir rum into lime mixture. Moisten the rims of 8 glasses with the reserved lime piece; dip rims in sugar. Divide mint among glasses. Use a wooden spoon to press mint into the bottom of each glass; press firmly to release flavor. Fill glasses with ice cubes. Pour chilled lime mixture over ice and mint leaves. If desired, add extra quartered limes and/or mint leaves.
Nutrition Information per serving: 95 calories, 0g protein, 21g carbohydrate, 0g fat (0g saturated), 1g fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment