Friday, June 15, 2012

The Spirit of the Crane

by Kris Pitcher

Growing up we had a tradition in my family of looking for wildlife. I joke with my husband now on road trips that I will keep my eyes out for bears. I rarely (never) see any. Although I do see other things.

The other morning as I was getting a cup of coffee I was on the look out as I stood watching out the kitchen window when I saw the huge wingspan of a grey crane.

Now, everyone knows when you see a crane...it's good luck. This crane flew to a graceful stop atop the barn next door. I couldn't believe it. I could not believe my luck! It was so close too.

I hollered for my husband to come quickly...he couldn't hear me over the running water in the bathroom half a house away. I stood there mesmerized, unable to take my eyes off this huge crane.

It made me wonder, what will I do with my day of good fortune? I felt a sense of joy and somehow I felt uplifted and then it dawned on me.

Every day there is a crane waiting for me. Each day is full of luck and good fortune. I took my coffee into the other room and put my shoes on. As Jacques came down the hall I told him to look out the kitchen window.

It had flown away to bestow it's luck on another, he'd missed it. When I told him I'd seen a giant grey crane he said, "That's good luck."

We each have the same spirit of good fortune within us each day. Whether we choose to embrace it is something different. Seeing the crane out my kitchen window was just what I needed to remind me of the choice I have within me to make on a daily basis.

What you choose to do with yours is up to you. My hope is that you feel that same sense of peace and uplifting of your spirit as I did when I saw the crane. My hope is that you embrace the spirit of the crane.

No comments:

Post a Comment