Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Turmeric, My Spice Right Now

by Kris Pitcher

One of my favorite spices right now is turmeric. It's a root in the ginger family and is native to South India. You know it as a common ingredient in curries. Turmeric is a very common condiment to Asian cooking and has many health benefits.

It has been credited to reducing the rate of Alzheimer's disease in India. It removes the amyloyd plaque build up in the brain which is one of the causes of Alzheimer's disease. I better add an extra sprinkle.

Turmeric is also a natural antiseptic and antibacterial. It is an anti-inflammatory as well. It is thought to have positive effects on cancer including stopping the growth of blood vessels in tumors.

This spice may also prevent metastases from occurring in breast, prostate and other cancers and is thought to prevent melanoma and even shrink existing melanoma cells. It's anti-inflammatory properties help psoriasis and other inflammatory skin problems.

It has been used in Chinese medicine to treat depression for hundreds of years. There must be something to this bright yellow spice. It is also thought to speed up wound healing.

But if all of that weren't enough to get you to incorporate turmeric into your pallet...it may aid in fat metabolism and weight management.

I buy it in the bulk section of the grocery and put it in a shaker container. I shake it onto my chicken and broccoli along with chili powder. Try something new to spice up your meals with turmeric.

2 comments:

  1. I will try this. Do you sprinkle it on before you bake chicken or after?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi,
    I cook in BULK, so I season everything after. You can do it while you're baking if you like. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete