Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Freedom From How You Feel

by Kris Pitcher

For all of our U.S. and state side readers, happy Independance Day! Today's topic will either set you free or set you off. Either way it's just something to put on the table.

We live in a society where more is better and bigger is a requirement. Our strong work ethic goes from our careers to every facet of our lives. That's not a bad thing.

One of the things I notice when I talk to people about different types of cardio is they bring up their feelings. Specifically, I talk to a lot of competitors who have a goal to burn fat. We talk about what kind of cardio they are doing which is often high intensity.

As I suggest low intensity, steady state cardio as the most effective fat burning energy system I consistently hear, "But, I don't feel like I'm doing enough."

They would rather burn muscle glycogen doing high intensity cardio than burn fat doing low intensity cardio so that they can "feel" like they are doing the "right" amount of work. Personally, I cannot feel my body burning fat.

I doubt you can feel that either. It comes down to trusting the science over our feelings. It's a situation where more is not better. But, how much high intensity interval cardio you do seems to determine how much of a bad *ss you are.

Don't get me wrong. There are absolutely reasons to do high intensity cardio. There are reasons to incorporate sprints into your routine if you have specific goals around that. When the specific goal for a competitor however is to burn fat and retain muscle...you need to work smarter, not harder.

So, if you want to burn up your muscle glycogen rather than burning your body fat, by all means continue to do that high intensity cardio. Me? I'll keep all my hard earned muscle and do my low intensity, steady state cardio. I'll see you on stage.



No comments:

Post a Comment