Thursday, October 4, 2012

Chewed Out - Evolution

by Kris Pitcher

A year ago, if you had told me I would of my own free will...give up sugar free gum. I would have slapped you across the face and marched off with my pack of Extra so fast your head would spin.

That was a girl with a pack a day habit. A girl with a mouth full of minty goodness, snappin' her way between meals without a care in the world. That is evolution.

After giving it up for this past prep, I don't think I need it any more. I've experienced the massive disappointment of their "dessert" flavors. Which, taste nothing like root beer float, or mint chocolate chip. Nothing.

Those pieces I did chew. Gas. The sugar alcohols along with the physical gulping down of air while chewing left my belly a bloated mess. No stank you.

And thus another evolutionary mark in my eating. With each contest prep I refine a little more, go back to fewer things, and become a little more discriminatory. Seriously, I would have slapped you.

It didn't start out that way. It's a process, it truly is evolutionary. You give up artificial sugars for a week and you might go right back to it. But give them up for months, and you feel their wrath if you take them in again. Headache, bloating...gas.

I probably won't go back to gluten in glutinous amounts either. I get instantly stuffed up in my sinuses when I eat it now. So, moderation - extreme moderation with the gluten is what I've decided is going to work for me. And alcohol? Still haven't had any since 21 weeks before my contest.

Some things just don't fit in any more. They don't meet the goals. They won't get me to my next level, and frankly I haven't missed them. If I don't feel good when I have them, that's a clue that I don't tolerate them well.

Evolution is my way of refining what my process is. It's my way of determining what works for my body and what I'll go back to following a prep cycle. So, you can keep your packs of gum, I think I'm all chewed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment