Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Your Placing and Your Coach

by Kris Pitcher

Most times I can just let things go. After a show, I actually heard someone say that if you're not happy with your placing, you should hire a different coach. I closed the page. I looked away. I diverted my attention. I let most of the day pass. But I can't let this one go.

A coach cannot get you a placing. The end. Period. You hire a coach to get you in the best shape of your life. Their job is to design a program to prepare you, to individualize your nutrition, make adjustments, to push you, to dial you in, to learn your body and to get you to peak at the very moment necessary to put you in front of the judges.

Your coach's job is to teach you to present yourself, to guide every detail, your posing, your hair, make-up, jewelry, tanning...the whole package. But to earn you a placing? Not even close.

Once you are up on stage it's all up to the judges. It's up to the athletes who showed up to stand next to you, it's up to the realities of your genetics, the work you did, your structure next to those around you. It's up to subjectivity of criteria seen through the individual and collective eyes of the judging panel. You can be the absolute best you there ever was...and you are guaranteed nothing.

You and your coach could have done everything exactly right, but someone else is simply better than you. Zip. Nada. Nothing. Placings? No guarantee. You have your head in the sand if you think your coach can get you that. Or if your understanding of why you hire a coach is to get you a placing, you've got it all wrong.

Your coach has lots of accountability's, responsibility's and liabilities...your placing is not one of them. And now, I'll let this one go.

No comments:

Post a Comment