Friday, October 4, 2013

Clean Cheats, Fall's Hearty Eats

by Kris Pitcher

Fall is a great season. Almost as great a season as offseason. Now, my work mates are wide-eyed and open mouthed because they are actually seeing me eat.

I ate before...but I guess my multiple meals of precisely weighed protein didn't count in their eyes. Ironically, I'm still eating those measured meals. Maybe they don't see me bring my cooler in with me, every day.

Anyway, I'm having fun participating with them in the occasional potluck. Non-profits do potlucks real well. And yesterday I made one awesome stew. While it won't fit into your contest diet, it would be a good bump up meal. And I know there are plenty of you out there not dieting strictly.

Niku Jaga - Japanese Stew
  • 2 pounds stew meat
  • 1 c water
  • 1/2 c sake (you could substitute 1/4 c rice vinegar)
  • 1/4 c soy
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 lb baby carrots
  • 6 red potatoes cut
  • 1 white onion diced
You put everything in the crockpot on low and go to bed! It's like magic...you wake up wondering, "What is that amazing smell?" Then you remember you made soup in the night like a Ninja (my husband's analogy).

A hearty soup is great as the weather turns cold, and there's nothing better than throwing everything in your crockpot and having it cook itself. Serve it with a little bit of sticky rice, or a savory corn bread muffin. Feed a crowd, or just enjoy it on the couch under a blanket. It's a great clean eats meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment