Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Body Conscious

by Kris Pitcher

This is not me.
There's nothing quite like airline travel to make even the most body-confident shrivel into being body-conscious. I really should have thought more about airport security before my travel day. Now, whether it's for work or pleasure I know the rules - I am a good traveler. I can pack for a week in my carry on and I have the security system down. From when to take off my shoes to what goes in which bin so I look like a pro coming out the other side.

But with the new security scanners I never thought I would become so body-conscious. Suddenly I wondered if I should have stepped up my cardio leading up to my trip. Lifting my arms over my head I stood in the scanner wishing I hadn't skipped shaving my armpits to shave a few minutes off my morning routine. At least with my arms raised that little bit of tummy smoothes out...who's looking at me I wondered? I started to sweat as I thought about my panty liner....they can see everything. "At least it's not a diaper." I comforted myself.

Quickly I flexed my glutes as if I were on stage presenting my physique. Shoulders back, chest up. Do I look nervous? I'm standing in the airport a virtual unclothed digital me...of course I'm nervous. I wanted to tell the person I felt like I was retaining a little water. That it was off season and I had put on a bit of size. I thought I should apologize for not having time for a pedicure, but I know there's little room for humor...and they're not judging me right?

I will tell you one thing, if you thought you could slide through the winter in your sweaters and long pants...without making an appointment to see your waxer, you better cancel your travel plans. If there's an airport in your future, you've got all the incentive you need to stick to your plan. Maybe even step it up a notch. I'm all for security, and I'm staying on track so next time I'm scanned - I'll stand body-confident!

No comments:

Post a Comment