Friday, December 17, 2010

Wait For Ducks

by Kris Pitcher

Zipping down our country road, not exceeding the posted 25 MPH speed limit, I turned the corner toward the property where the horses are. I was making good time...I wasn't even going to be late for work! But it was light out, and I ran the risk of getting behind the school bus. No bus in sight, nothing in my way. Then as I made my way down the road I could see an unmistakable waddle. This is the same place in the road where I look for the peacocks, and where sadly this summer the big floppy bunny didn't make it.

No, I don't live in a fairy tale, there just happen to be some domestic animals in the rural area where we live. As I got closer I could see there were ducks crossing the road. White ones, speckled ones, a big black one...and these ducks were not in a hurry. Second gear, neutral...stop. One, two, three ducks cross the road. I sit and wait. There are at least four others on the side and I know they all want to be together. So I wait. They start across, hesitate, then go. "Come on girls!" I found myself cheering them.

This is a crazy season. There are too many parties. There are too many obligations, we feel over extended and off schedule. The mall is packed, and the grocery store is worse. People are stressed and families are struggling. We overindulge, and worry about the perfect gift. We are caught up in the stuff, the right decorations, lights and trimmings. We are frazzled and frantic. We are in a huge hurry everywhere we go.

In those moments of hurried chaos, take a deep breath and slow down. Ask yourself just what is necessary, what will people miss if you don't quite get everything done. Does everything have to be done from scratch? Can you find ways to slow down, do less and enjoy the season more? But most importantly this holiday season, take time to take care of yourself. Take time to slow down and smile and to stop and wait for ducks.      

No comments:

Post a Comment