Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Winning The Time War

by Kris Pitcher

At the conclusion of a meeting, the committee chair began the comical task of setting the next meeting. I opened my calendar and waited. Selecting the date was easy enough.

My eyes began to dart around the table as times were being discussed. Getting eight people in one place at one time is next to impossible. Morning wouldn't work for one, afternoon was out for another..."How about 11:30?"

"That won't work for me." I heard myself saying. "I have a prior commitment." It wasn't a total lie. "Does 1:00 pm work?" I asked. Sure enough it did. And the next meeting was set.

Now, why was everyone willing to give up on lunch? I waver between being a complete slacker, and actually preserving an hour when I can have a meal break, read, take a walk, write, or simply  - not work. That's why it's called "lunch break".

I had to consciously battle for my time barriers. And it's not that I'm not a hard working loyal person. I just know what it's like to let all boundaries slip away until you are your job 24/7. I've done that job. I know I don't want to be that person. So, I work hard to protect my time.

What does your schedule look like? What would happen if you did take your lunch break? The person who gets there first, stays the longest, and works through lunch doesn't win. There is no race to win. Work on protecting your time boundaries. When you do, you win.

No comments:

Post a Comment