Sunday, February 26, 2012

Shape Shifters

by Kris Pitcher

Our weight on the scale is a tricky thing. I know it plays head games with us...with me. But, I do like to check in every now and then to see where I am.

Sometimes it's not as bad as I thought. I might have been giving myself the mental beat down for nothing. Other times, well let's just say it reels me back in. But this week, I thought things were different.

See, my slacks had been a little snug. So after two pretty solid weeks of being right on track with my eating schedule things were loosening up. Yeah me! I got on the scale after a moderate carb day...136. OK, I thought - I can live with that!

A couple of days later I wanted to see where I was following a low carb day. I had been feeling like I'd made progress...my slacks were fitting even better! And when I lifted up on my tippy toes before I got in the shower to sneak a peek in the mirror, I even liked the changes I was seeing.

Before I stepped on the scale I actually thought about it. Do I really need to step on there? Do I need to see a number? What if nothing changed? The number doesn't matter. I stepped on any way.

138! And then I reminded myself what I tell everyone else. The number on the scale doesn't really tell me anything. My shape is shifting. I'm getting smaller, my slacks are telling me so! If I'm gaining muscle, thank the lawrd! That's what I'm trying so hard to do.

My point here is stop denying your shifting shape due to the number on the scale. Things ARE changing. Your scale weight means nothing. Shoot, you could make up any number you want if it makes you feel better.

It's just one, of many, measurements we can use to track our progression. I say progression because for me, I WANT to gain muscle. So, if it's measuring that, great. I don't need to be any certain number, my size is changing...I'm getting SMALLER.

From that, I can assess that I'm moving in the right direction. Keep moving in the right direction and quit letting the scale determine what kind of day you're going to have. Instead, start celebrating the changes that are happening in your shape!

No comments:

Post a Comment