Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I Threw My Buns Away

by Kris Pitcher

I was out running an errand and I anticipated going right back home. Instead I got a text from my husband asking if I was available to come to the gym and do posing practice with him and a client. I said I thought I could make it in time.

You caught me...I wasn't prepared with meals. Now you know I'm a normal person. But, I had an idea. A really good idea. I would just stop at Albertsons and get some deli meat to nosh on before I went to the gym. I only had a few minutes to spare.

Well, it turns out Albersons in stuck in 1979 and they don't have a deli. I don't shop there regularly but it was on the way, in the direction of travel. I needed a plan "B". I really didn't want to go another hour without eating. It had already been 2 hours.

I didn't want to pay $5.99 for packaged fake deli-style meat from isle 11, so I marched out of there and back to the car. And then I saw the golden arches.

I ordered the McDouble off the value meal and used my husband's "McDonald's name" when they asked at the register "Kris". It's easier than Jacques. He has a McD's alias. Too funny. But let's get back to the point.

The McDouble is two meats and one cheese. So, let's see the damage. I ordered it to go, I was in a hurry after all...and I couldn't see myself dining alone in the restaurant. The sandwich has 390 calories/33 gms carbs/19 gms fat/ 22 gms protein...and 920 mgs sodium.

So, I threw away my buns! That's right, bye bye buns! And bye bye carbs leaving me with a 259 calorie choice, 19 gm fat/22 gm protein. For a girl on the run - who's not in contest prep mode - the McDouble at $1.84 does the job. I was back on the road with my buns in my bag.

Did I enjoy any fries, NO. I didn't even get a drink...but I got my protein in and didn't starve that day. Sure, I got my ENTIRE day's worth of sodium in one shot. But since I don't eat processed foods my salt intake the rest of the day was minimal.

In a pinch, you can make out alright on the road. Provided...you throw out your buns! *Smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment