Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Turn Your Page

by Kris Pitcher

I've got this recipe I use frequently occasionally. So, during the super bowl when this certain item was requested, I pulled down the red Betty Crocker book and began to get out my ingredients.

Now, I have used the recipe before - and I always thought it strange there wasn't any oven temperature or baking time instructions included. The version I use is an alteration of the one just before it, so naturally I just use the information for that version.

You could say I only sort of follow instructions. I guess I thought I had all the information I needed right there on page 175. When I bake, I alter. Half the sugar, replace the fat with apple sauce...so to assume the cooking temperature and time was no big deal. 350 degrees for 25 minutes works for me.

But for some reason on super bowl Sunday I turned the page. Low and behold there it was! The cooking temperature and time! Right there on page 176. I had never turned the page before. It made me stop and wonder, what else am I missing by not turning my page?

The information said just what I had thought, bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. It was just like the version I had altered from on page 175. But the point is, we should turn the page just to see what's on page 176.

What's on the next page for you? What's right around the corner for you? Even if we're just confirming what we know, we should turn the page and uncover what's there. Our thirst for knowledge is strong, are we paying attention to it?

What did I bake? Brownies of course! Cocoa brownies...delish! But now I'm looking for new pages to turn. And I hope you'll turn your page too!

No comments:

Post a Comment