Friday, September 16, 2011

You Wouldn't Dare

by Kris Pitcher

You wouldn't dare tell someone they weren't worth the effort. You wouldn't dare say, "What's the point in you even trying?" The words you could never do that...wouldn't cross your lips to an other's ears.

I dare you to say the things you think to yourself in your darkest moments out loud. Say them so someone else might hear. No? Why not? Calling your bluff?

Negative self talk is just a bad habit. It's a habit you can break. You wouldn't say those things, because at some level you know it's a load of baloney. You know it's just a fleeting self-loathing moment, a moment that will pass.

The moment will pass, and you can help it along. Breaking habits requires replacing them with new habits. So, I dare you to say positive things about yourself every morning for a week. Say them out loud to yourself. Sure, you can close the bathroom door. You can say them while the shower is running so no one will hear you.

Just say them. I am a strong and beautiful person. I am capable of controlling my feelings. I make good choices about my health. I exercise because it makes me feel good. I am successful at what I do. I take care of myself because I am important. I deserve taking time for my own wellness. I believe in myself. I know I have the strength to keep going. I am able to manage my stress. I am surrounded by people who love me.

How's that for starters? Write your own. Replace the negative statements, the fragmented, disconnected statements that play in your head with new statements. Change the message, change the habit. People who are good at this work on it every day. It's like playing the piano. It doesn't practice itself. You are worth the effort, and I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment