Wednesday, February 20, 2013

FOUR Pounds Heavier! What?!

by Kris Pitcher

Feeling unfocused and a little down I was having trouble staying on task at work. By Wednesday of last week I was up 4 pounds from my Sunday low. FOUR pounds! Having done everything right with my food and exercise, I left my husband a note suggesting possible solutions:
  1. I am pregnant
  2. Someone dumped 6,500 mg of sodium into my last meal
  3. I gained 4 pounds of muscle in 3 days
  4. I'M FAAATTT!!!
With a low grade migraine coming on I popped some narcotics and drank my water. I stayed on track with every single meal. I kept the water coming in like it was my job. I stayed off the scale. I felt bloaty...and stabby.

Sure enough, by Saturday Aunt Flo was visiting. (That's code for menstruation.) The thing is, this could have gone real bad, real fast.

It happens to the ladies in this group with precision. Yet, every month it sneaks up on us. The signs are slapping us in the face and we can't see them. We get derailed and begin to sabotage. What comes to mind?

The worst. We think we've done something wrong. Then what? We fulfill that prophecy and eat a BUNCH of garbage. If we would have just waited it out and done what we were supposed to do, we would be right back where we should be in a few days.

Things fluctuate. You're going to get your period. With that, you might be constipated, bloated, have a headache, feel sad...you name it. Know what comes with it - it's your period. But know what doesn't come with it.

Self deprecating punishment for something which hasn't happened. I didn't gain four pounds of fat. I was doing everything right, exactly what I was supposed to be doing. I hadn't done anything wrong, or off plan.

I never naturally go to that place, but I know many are drawn right there and before you know it, you're up to your elbows in an empty container of Ben & Jerry's. Be confident in your plan, be confident you are doing all the right things and those things will work. Trust in yourself and trust in your plan.

And by all means, always have some lady gear in your purse! Because for some reason, you can be in your forties and that crap sneaks up on you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment