Saturday, April 9, 2011

Do Not Solicit

by Kris Pitcher

I am a good driver. I've been driving a long time, and learned from a great driver. Thanks dad! Following the rules of the road, which I'm not sure they teach anymore, is important to me - I take it seriously. I even know a little bit about accelerating into a turn and the dynamics of finding the apex of a turn.

Formal training? Not a lick. And by no means should I be coaching someone on how to enhance their driving performance or teaching them how to train for driving a professional course.

I have seen, overheard and witnessed good, bad and downright ugly advice exchanging hands in the gym. Just because someone is doing something...it doesn't mean it's appropriate for you. It may not be applicable, or take into account your personal issues, history, goals or medical needs. Exercise and nutrition is not a cookie cutter science. There are many factors to consider when designing a program to help a client succeed. Many.

It's a shame to see someone struggle because they are following inappropriate advice when another approach would be really successful for them. Don't be afraid to seek advice from a professional. I wouldn't ask someone to do my taxes just because they "looked" like they knew the tax codes. I would seek out a credentialed professional.

And by all means, do not solicit advice from someone at the gym who just happens to be there all the time hoping they might know something. Ask for a referral to a trainer who has a background in what you're looking for. It just makes sense. Oh, and I won't be teaching race car driving either!

No comments:

Post a Comment