Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Exercise Prevents Suicide

by Kris Pitcher

As I stepped on the treadmill the lady next to me said, "At least the rain held off yesterday." Looking out the floor to ceiling windows to the wet, gloomy, grey day I said, "Yeah, I hope you enjoyed 'Spring'!"

"Well, I made it here anyway." She said. "At least I didn't commit suicide." I let out a laugh, but as I turned and looked into her overly painted eyes the furrow in her brow caused a lump to rise in my throat. "Today was really hard." She said. As the words came, I realized she wasn't joking.

We walked side by side in silence for what was the longest fifteen minutes I'd spent for some time. The air felt thick around me. I listened to her gait...it was awkward. She was sort of jogging at 2.5 MPH. It was like her mind was racing but her body was in slow motion. It's not often I'm at a loss for words.

At the same time, I'm comfortable not filling space with words. I'm OK just being with someone, without speaking. I finished my fifteen minutes, brought the incline down and looked into her painful eyes. A smile crept across her face and I said, "I'm glad you made it in, we'll hope for sunnier skies."

I'll be looking for her at the gym - and you should keep your eyes out too, after all...exercise prevents suicide.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment