Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Frog Does Not Drink Up The Pond In Which He Lives

by Kris Pitcher

There's something about being in themed stores that makes you want to "be" whatever that thing is. Maybe it was the music that got my attention, or that bin of "bag your own gems". Perhaps it was the kokopelli magnets, or the dark haired mysterious looking shop keeper...

The silver jewelry definitely caught my eye, and the prices actually made me choke on my own spit a little. The case was jammed with red, blue, and green surrounded by shiny silver. Keep walking I thought.

I was being whisked away by the wall of dream catchers when I came upon this Native American Proverb (or so claimed):
"A frog does not drink up the pond in which he lives."

Hmm. It made me think about living a more simplified life, about being grateful for what we have, and about being responsible stewards of our resources.

And in this "Way Out West" themed store FULL of stuff everywhere, I found one golden nugget. So, I raced out of there and took out my tiny book of big ideas and wrote down the proverb. And I started to think about how I might simplify, do with less, or appreciate more fully what I have.

Taking time to be grateful is important. It renews our sense of what is important in our lives and it restores our sense of feeling grounded in our lives. When we get caught up in what we need to have, what we don't have, and what we want to have - we are drinking up our pond.

What are you grateful for in your life? Are you being a good steward of your resources, of the resources of your "pond"? Take time to think about it. You'll feel more grounded and sure of yourself and of your life.

You'll feel more sure than ever about what's important, and I bet one of those things will be you and your wellness!

No comments:

Post a Comment