Monday, January 2, 2012

Losing Weight by Washing Dishes

by Kris Pitcher

I stood at the sink full of dirty dishes and I had an epiphany. No one was going to do this for me. I couldn't wish them away. The cat wasn't going to wash the dishes and they weren't going to disappear.

I could do them with resentment, feeling angry at the world. Or, I could wash the dishes, which I had dirtied, for the sake of having a clean kitchen...for me.

The way we approach our health and fitness goals is like washing dishes. If we have weight to lose we cannot wish it away. And no one is going to lose the weight for us. We can't close our eyes and reopen them to have the weight disappear from our thighs. It doesn't work like that.

We can go about the process with an attitude of entitlement and resentment. We can be angry at the world that somehow "they", "it", made us this way. Or we can take responsibility and do it for ourselves. It's the only perspective that makes sense to me.

It's the only perspective that makes this work. One of personal responsibility, doing it for yours truly. So, roll up your sleeves and get ready to do the work. You're finally ready to face your fears, to get your hands dirty and uncover the person you want to be.

Each action you take is one you have to take for yourself. You can look around and see if anyone is looking. But don't expect praise for doing what you're supposed to do. You're going to do this because it's the right thing to do...for you. Look for praise from within. That is where your strength lies.

And I'll be here to cheer you on. You have more support than you know. Now, roll up your sleeves the dishwater is getting cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment