Thursday, January 26, 2012

What's In Your Letter?

by Kris Pitcher

I got a letter the other day. The kind that the post "person" brings and puts in the mailbox. You know, it comes in an envelope and is written on paper. A letter!

I really needed it too, because I had been struggling with this certain thing. I'd been conflicted about it, going back and forth...unsure if I could really make it happen. And just at the right time, the letter came.

The letter was penned by a good friend. It said all the things my dear friend might say. It didn't include any of the things I might hear from myself. There weren't any uncertainties, any "I'm not sure," or "Maybe I can't". The letter just stated how strong I was, how confident and smart. It talked about how professional and determined I was, and how I'm good at what I do.

And here's my secret...I wrote the letter to myself! When you are struggling with something, when you feel conflicted or you are lacking confidence all you need to do is think of what your closest friend would tell you.

What would he/she say? What would they write to you? Now, they are going to be honest with you. This is the friend who will tell you when you actually do have spinach in your teeth.

This friend will tell you just how much you really are capable of. They'll tell you you can do it. They'll tell you that you will do it. You are strong and capable, you are confident and able. And you are determined, skilled, and have a lot to offer.

Get yourself a piece of paper. It starts like this: Dear Self,

No comments:

Post a Comment