Monday, November 19, 2012

Tuberlicious!

by Kris Pitcher

I am really excited about a tuber. As soon as I was done with my contest...I went right back to this tasty treat. I can't hold out on you any longer. I have to tell you how excited I am about jicama.

If you're not noshing on this crunchy treat...you're missing out. Like I said, it's a tuber. And, it's actually in the bean family. So, it's considered a sort of legume. It's popular in Mexico and it's referred to as the "bean-yam".

It's not bean-y, or yam-y. It's more water chestnut-y. I peel it and slice it and crunch it raw. It's mostly water and is a carbohydrate. But it's got a special characteristic.

It's full of dietary fiber and it gets its sweetness from a substance that stimulates the activity of bacteria in the digestive system. It's a prebiotic. The jicama is considered to be between a food and a medicine...

I have no idea if it's working any miracles in my gut, but it is refreshing and crunchy. It's also full of vitamins C, B, A and phosphorus and calcium. If you can find it, you should try it. It's tuberlicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment