Friday, November 2, 2012

Checking Your Cans & Shoulds - Cocoa Pebbles

by Kris Pitcher

Recently my husband, who is heavily dieting, said to me, "I don't know why you're not eating Cocoa Pebbles." He said this with a straight face, out of the blue...in the evening.

I thought to myself - yeah, why aren't I eating Cocoa Pebbles?! My initial reply was, "I didn't have enough money for Cocoa Pebbles." Which was another funny husband story about the cost of groceries.

In an attempt to use cash for purchases he gave me money for groceries which basically amounted to what they would have cost in 1979. It's OK, we each have our contributions and shopping the groceries is mine.

As I thought about it a little more, I realized there are a lot of foods I just don't know about. Foods I just wouldn't consider because I've forgotten they exist. Chocoliscious bowls of cereal fall into that category.

Dieting, or rather eating clean, for so long will do that to you. Now, as I go down the aisles of the grocery store it's overwhelming and I leave with nothing instead of one of the 700 types of cereal. I'm not really supposed to eat cereal anyway!

Now that I could have a few "goodies" such as cereal...I don't even want it. Not only is it overwhelming to pick one, but it doesn't fit into my plan...or my life any more.

So, the real answer to why I'm not eating Cocoa Pebbles is because: I forgot they existed; I couldn't find them if I was looking for them on the aisle; and I don't really want to eat that.

His question wasn't quite so literal. In the bigger context he wondered - now that I have free reign, how is it, or why is it that I'm keeping my diet so clean? The answer there is twofold. First, he's dieting. I'm working to be supportive and control our home environment.

Secondly, this serves me. It allows me to maintain control over how gradually my weight returns. It's my way of managing my rebound. By not keeping that kind of stuff in the house, I have to make a conscious decision to go out and get something off plan. Or in addition to my plan.

And like a lot of things, just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should". It's about making the right choice because of the goals you want to reach. My Cocoa Pebbles choice will help me get to my goals.

This is where I ask you to check your "cans" and your "shoulds" to determine if your choices are taking you on the right path. The path is yours, it leads to your goals. Is it paved with Cocoa Pebbles?  

No comments:

Post a Comment