Thursday, February 3, 2011

Marathon Bound, Meet Andrea!

by Kris Pitcher

I want to introduce you to one of Team Pitcher's newer athletes. She's wicked hilarious and I know you'll enjoy getting to know her. It's my pleasure to introduce, Andrea!



KP: Tell us a little about growing up on the Palouse.
AF: Well, technically I grew up in the Columbia Basin, Ephrata WA exactly. I had a very, very interesting childhood. I spent a lot of time with my very Southern Grandma. She taught me the ways of sass, sparkles, and shoes, and I am a stronger person for it. I have lived on the Palouse since I was 18, and have never had the heart to leave. I love driving into Pullman every morning, it keeps me very grounded. 

KP: Were you athletic in high school? Involved in sports?
AF: OOOOOOHHHHHHH NO. I tried volleyball, and decided that I really didn't like having large plastic objects directed at my head. I am extremely uncoordinated - zero hand-eye coordination. I was an A student (except for PE which was an A-) and was involved with things like...drama, editor of the school newspaper, knowledge bowl, debate team, math team (not kidding), KEY club - and at 14, I worked full time for our family's video store. I was a little bit of a geek, but a fashionable geek.

KP: How did you get interested in running, and what was the first race you entered?
AF: I used to run as a kid, but I had asthma pretty bad - so I never was really successful. My motto used to be, "I will run when something is chasing me." After my surgery, my lower lip/jaw was still really really numb. I asked what I could do to improve that, and the doctor suggested intense cardio. I am not coordinated enough to participate in exercise classes so I decided to jump on the treadmill. About three months into it - I decided I loved it. It gave me time to decompress; I liken it to meditation or a religious experience. My first race ever? Probably the Canal Caper when I was eight or nine... My first real race was Jan 1, 2011 - 4 miles in 33:14. Next up Feb 13, 2011 - 5K. Easy. As. Pie.

KP: What exactly is a lentil?
AF: I still haven't figured that out... but I hear you can put them in ice cream, so we're friends.

KP: Does your husband run with you, or is this something you do solo?
AF: I do this solo, and that is partly the reason I love it. I get some time to be alone in my head. Shiloh likes to climb mountains... I really like beds and running water.

KP: You're training for a marathon, which race and when is the big date?
AF: The Portland Marathon, October 8th, 2011

KP: You travel a lot for work, how have you balanced your training with that?
AF: You have to make a decision to get out and do it. Everyday you have a choice, and you have to plan. If you try to "wing it" it won't work. So, I plan where and when I will fit in my runs, and it has been really fun, actually. You get to explore a different side to a city when you run; it is almost like an underground culture.

KP: When did you realize you would benefit from having a performance based nutrition plan to accompany your training?
AF: When I thought about laying down on the Chipman Trail to die. LOL! I have always known that nutrition is vital to successful running. I thought I could just figure it out as I went, but it wasn't working. I had an eight mile run where I thought the world was going to end, and it was then I thought, "I feel this way because of my diet - not because of lack of training." I wanted someone who knew the science behind nutrition to help me, and let me tell you I feel 100% better. Thank you Team Pitcher.

KP: Looking ahead to upcoming trips, how will you manage your new eating plan on the road?
AF: If left to my own devices I make really bad choices. I love sweets, and candy, and all that is so incredibly bad for me and my training. So, I will plan ahead, I will be prepared. I will tell myself no, and I will ask for help.

KP: What part of your training is hardest for you?
AF: Besides the short shorts??? Asking for help - that was the hardest for me. It was also the best decision I have ever made. We all have to acknowledge our limitations.

KP: Once you complete this goal, what's next for you?
AF: Well, it would be a dream to be able to qualify for and run the Boston Marathon. So, I will keep working until I get there.

KP: You married your high school sweet heart, and live the simple life with no kids, what do you guys like to do for fun?
AF: We laugh a lot. We watch a lot of movies, travel, and hopefully this summer I will put my big girl pants on and take a couple of hiking trips with him.

KP: I know you have an entire room devoted to shoes (I'm a little envious) now that you're a runner, how many pairs of running shoes have you been through?
AF: I have been through six pairs... It seems like I always have them on when I get roped into doing yard work, and who wants to wear dirty shoes?? LOL! I LOVE the ones I have now, and after winter I will need to replace them. Perhaps, I will need an indoor and outdoor pair... hmmmmm.

KP: We love having you on Team Pitcher! What else would you like readers to know about the wild world of Andrea?
AF: It's pretty unpredictable. I think that to keep your head on straight, you need a good sense of humor. You need to be able to revel in your success, and learn from your mistakes. You can't be too hard on yourself, and you need to be able to laugh at your short comings. You need to dance it out often, and especially on the treadmill. Acknowledge that asking for help is not a weakness. And, sparkles and cute shoes make everything better!   


No comments:

Post a Comment