Monday, February 28, 2011

Stress Free For One Hour

by Kris Pitcher

Technology has made our lives easier, thrown open the doors to access of information, and connected us in unimaginable ways. It's also increased our productivity, and made us accessible 24/7. That can be stressful. I have a healthy living tip that might not be very popular. But as I think about my work place...it seems as though email has taken over my entire day.

In an effort to decrease stress and increase the chances of doing something on the 'to do' list, how about creating an email free zone for one hour. Just one hour.

It's an addictive interruption. Email breaks our concentration and presents constant mini emergencies requiring our immediate attention. We've done it to ourselves...this instantly accessibility thing. And I realize it is expected.

So what if we spent one hour accomplishing our most critical tasks of the day. We'd feel a great sense of accomplishment and that energy would feed other aspects of our day. We might get more done and feel better about it.

I think I'm going to try it. I'm scared, no doubt. And I'd better put an 'out of office' message on my email for that one hour letting people know if they have an immediate need they should phone me...there's no telling what I might get done. Why, I feel less stressed already!     

No comments:

Post a Comment