Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Bright Flashy Honeybug!

by Kris Pitcher

"Honeybug" read the license plate as the bright yellow beetle passed me in my same make and model. I had noticed it in my side mirror as it came onto the highway...you know how it is when you see a car just like your own.

But as she passed, I could see this one was not like my own. It was a little newer, and had fancy flower brake light covers. In its dashboard vase was a yellow flower and from its rear view mirror hung an overstuffed bright yellow bumble bee. It's safe to say this beetle had a lot of flair. A. Lot. Of. Flair.

Now, I could have immediately passed judgement about this younger, flashier version. Let's say, I'm more low key in my presentation. My flair consists of window tint as dark as legal, a turbo badge, and a window sticker that translates from Italian to "strength". I didn't pass judgement. Instead I thought, "You go girl!"

When you feel comfortable about your own presentation you have the luxury of supporting others...even when they are younger or fancier, or different than you. I think we'd be better off if we supported one another instead of passing judgement and cutting each other down. We'd feel better about ourselves and about each other.

So, as honeybug zipped passed me, I felt confident in what I am, and I smiled for how happy she was in her own "self". It actually made me happy for her and her flaired out bright yellow beetle.

Let go of judgments against others, you'll feel more at peace with who you are, you'll celebrate differences, and you'll smile more!

No comments:

Post a Comment