Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Know When to Say No

by Kris Pitcher

I'm always a little sad coming back from vacation. I just start to slip into a lifestyle I really like. Waking and sleeping when my body wants, and eating and exercising when I want to. But then reality sets in...and it's back to work.

The schedule is actually a relief. I felt a sense of calm as I prepped my meals and packed my cooler for the day. I felt confident knowing exactly what my day would be like. More or less. And as I waded into the many emails I didn't set my expectations too high for that first day back. Ease into it.

And we should ease into the season too. Set our expectations a little on the low side. It's a great time of year to practice knowing when to say, "No." Tis the season to be protective of our time and realistic of our schedule.

We can't be at every function, party and social event we'd like to. Multiple events scheduled on the same day can run us ragged. It can be overwhelming, like coming back from vacation. So, we have to pick and choose, and then say no. Some thing's got to give.

Do you have to make all your cookies from scratch this year? Or make them at all? Do the halls need to be decked and the cards sent?  Maybe they do, and it's entirely up to you. Just remember it's your holiday season.

Knowing when to say no helps us to stay on track with our own efforts and maintain some sense of normalcy with our own schedule. It isn't easy, and we want to make time for special things. We also want to make time for the things that keep us sane.

Enjoy the season and know when to say no. Know what matters and what doesn't, know what keeps you sane and what makes you crazy. Keep things in perspective. Ease into it! And practice your no's.

No comments:

Post a Comment