Sunday, November 28, 2010

Amy's Sweet Potato & Apple Whipped Casserole

by Kris Pitcher

This recipe was shared with Jacques by Amy...which I'm publishing without permission. Admittedly, I'm not good at instructions, or rules for that matter. This morning I had my apples and sweet potatoes on the counter ready for this recipe, then I got out my peeler and large stock pot because I was going to boil them.

But then I remembered my sense of inquiry being squashed by my 5th grade teacher who had a sign which read, "When all else fails, read the directions." I guess that teacher was tired of little 5th graders asking lots of questions. I thought I'd better double check the recipe before I started forging ahead on my own.

I did follow the directions for Amy's recipe, and the casserole is warming in the oven and smelling delicious. I highly recommend you give this a whirl!

Amy's Sweet Potato & Apple Whipped Casserole
  • 4 sweet potatoes (equivalent 4 cups, cubed)
  • 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and quartered
  • 1 egg
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1/2 c freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 2 Tbsp freshly grated orange rind
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cloves
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg (fresh is best, if you have it)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Roast sweet potatoes whole at 450 degrees until tender, about 30-40 minutes, depending on your oven and size of the potatoes. (Make sure you poke holes in them with a fork, first!)
  2. Bake apple pieces on a pan sprayed with non-stick for the last 20 minutes or so, until soft.
  3. Whip the egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Keep in the frig until ready to use
  4. Let sweet potatoes cool enough to scrape the pulp out of the skins, add to mixer with softened apples. Using the paddle attachment, blend until as smooth as possible, adding the single egg, OJ, orange rind, spices, and vanilla.
  5. When thoroughly mixed, slowly fold in the whipped egg whites to the sweet potatoes and apples, gently mixing by hand until a uniform, lighter color. (Nor egg white streaks)
  6. Spray 9x13 inch baking pan with non-stick, carefully pour mixture into the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes. Serve hot.
Optional:
Before baking, sprinkle with pecans for crunch and a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar for sweetness. Or, another great topping is chopped candied ginger, about 2 Tbsp - adds a nice bite of spice.

You can add a little Splenda or brown sugar to the sweet potato/apple mixture if you like things on the sweeter side, maybe 1/4 cup.

 Much more than a great cook...
Amy Hatvany's newest novel BEST KEPT SECRET
is due out July 19, 2011

BEST KEPT SECRET: "Amy Hatvany's powerful language, delicious imagery, and tender treatment of motherhood is a love letter to women everywhere, who try and sometimes fail, but who always get back up again. She is a gifted writer, whose compassion and clear-headed view of addiction and recovery are inspirational and empowering." ~ Rachael Brownell, Mommy Doesn't Drink Here Anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment