Tuesday, November 23, 2010

No Crust Pumpkin Pie



by Kris Pitcher

Being both sensitive and inclusive I recently made what turned out to be a ridiculous suggestion to my husband. In light of his rather aggressive personal goals, he has been eating very clean. So, I suggested I could make him a crust less pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. Well, the look on his face was almost indescribable. You'd think I had suggested he stay home, while I enjoy Thanksgiving...where he didn't have to watch me eat it! That kind of look. Anyway, I got the message.

Needless to say, I won't be fixing this pie. But it's a great recipe, and I've fixed it before. Last year, I was dieting for contest preparation myself...all by myself (I had to start early because of what a great value that wonderful cruise was, boy did I eat my money's worth!). Through Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, my birthday, Valentine's Day, our anniversary...I dieted. So, I made this pie for at least two of those occasions.

It's a great way to save quite a few calories, and still enjoy dessert. Does this count as a vegetable serving? Enjoy!

No Crust Pumpkin Pie:

  • 1/2 C buttermilk baking mix
  • 1 2/3 C canned pumpkin
  • 12 oz. evaporated mild
  • 1/3 C milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 C brown sugar
  • 1/2 C white sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 10 inch pie pan; dust with baking mix. In a large bowl, mix pumpkin, evaporated milk, milk and eggs together. Stir in baking mix, pie spice, vanilla and salt. Continue stirring while gradually adding the brown and white sugar. When thoroughly blended, pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for additional 35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. 

Makes 12 servings. 128 calories, 2.7 gms fat

No comments:

Post a Comment