Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Wielding Scissors

Don't try this at home...
by Kris Pitcher

In the late 1990's I forgot the basics of the color wheel and through a very unfortunate "incident" turned my hair green. As it turns out, yellow and blue make green. Remember? My frugal attempt to color my hair at home with a box containing a very dirty word...ash, did not work out in my favor. A frantic call to the salon, a baseball cap, a scrunchie (it was the 90's), and a very expensive process later, I was fixed. It was at that time I promised my now husband I would never color my own hair again. Ever. This promise did not however extend to cutting my hair.

Sure, at some point I may have promised my mother I wouldn't cut my own hair...but that's different. You can't be held to a toddler-made promise. So last week when I stood in the mirror wielding scissors at my reflection...I knew I needed professional help. Much can be hidden in curly hair. Mistakes. Chipmunks. But I had gone WAY too long, and this mop was too long. My favorite stylist to the rescue I put the scissors down knowing that help was on the way. And there has been a lot of hype (self induced) leading up to the date...so there was a little confusion as to when it was.

Last Wednesday during our back work out my husband said, "Did you get your hair cut?" "No!" I laughed, eyes disappearing in the back of my head. "Good. Cause if you did you should get your money back. All they did was hold the scissors behind your head and make cutting noise. They didn't cut anything off." This was really our conversation.

Tuesday was FINALLY the day! And I look AWESOME! I feel like a million bucks! I don't even know what I was thinking holding those scissors near my head! I have zero knowledge of cutting hair. Zero. Yet I was going for it. I wouldn't know the first place to start. I had no plan, no clue how or what I was about to do...but there I stood...ready to go. Sure for disaster. And another promise to never.

Are you trying to get somewhere without the first clue how or where to begin? Health and fitness is just one area where we should consider elisting a professional. Someone with information and knowledge to guide us and create a plan. There is a lot to learn along the way, and I'm glad you're here reading and learning. Think about it, how long have you been standing in front of the mirror wielding scissors?

1 comment:

  1. To extend the analogy a bit, when I was a little kid I cut my younger sister's bangs with those little round-nosed scissors kids have. Results not so good, tried to even it up, still not good, tried again....

    By the time I was done her bangs were half-inch rickrack.

    So you may want to know whether the person with the scissors is any good at helping others with their hair :D.

    @BarbChamberlain

    ReplyDelete