Monday, December 27, 2010

The Latest Craze

by Kris Pitcher

This is the time of year when I get really concerned about some of you. Rightfully so. With every turn I hear, "In January I'm...", or "Come January first that's it!" These proclamations are worrisome not because I think you won't do it...but because I'm worried you will.

January first marks the race gate and each of you are ready to run through the red "start" ribbon. "Gun ho!" doesn't begin to describe the enthusiasm building with each of your, "Come January..." calls. Excitement overcomes you and I feel it's my duty to caution you. I'd be doing you a disservice if I didn't. It's just that you take things too far.

You know the guy with the basketball jersey, the basketball shorts, the basketball shoes - the guy who is so into the culture but doesn't actually play basketball...I'm worried you'll be that guy. Especially with this new craze.

You've got your iPod loaded, and you've mapped out your route You've been reading up on the best methods, and form. You've considered a heart rate monitor, and maybe you even got one for a gift. You are so excited about feeling the earth under your feet, to be one with nature, to run as intended...barefoot. That's right, you're all geared up, or down rather, to catch the wave of the latest craze - barefoot running.

You see, I'm just worried that you'll take this too far, like you did with that last thing you tried. You got all the gear, joined the club...it wasn't good. So when you see the benefits of barefoot running, I'm afraid you'll extend that just a bit too far and well, just run totally bare!

We just can't have that, a little bare goes a long way, especially when you're running! It's time to temper your enthusiasm, curb your energy, and take your New Year's resolutions one step at a time. Please don't over do it. And if you are even considering barefoot running, just a little bit, keep it to your feet people!


Barefoot running is a well followed sport. I have to share a man was recently arrested running totally bare. When questioned, he said since it was good for your feet he figured it was good for your whole body. I believe he was also intoxicated. I am not making that up!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! Geez, some people go too far. People, keep your clothes on when you are running!

    ReplyDelete