Wednesday, December 29, 2010

One For The Road

by Kris Pitcher

Hey, sorry to come by at this time but I need you to come for a ride with me. Don't worry about it, yes it's my car. Just grab your bag you can put your lipstick on in the car. See that old tape down there by your feet? Can you grab that for me? I found this the other day and when I heard it I thought of you. What? Why are you looking at me like that?

The tape begins to play but it's not the music you thought it would be. What you hear is your own voice. Your voice is telling you what you should weigh. See you're getting these ideas about what you might accomplish in the New Year. Ideas about what you'll do in 2011! You're setting goals, weight loss goals. And you know what you're doing, you've got your tape! Your tape tells you - it's been telling you - what you should weigh.

The thing is, when we listen to the tape together, driving down the road...the notion is so old it's not even a cassette. The tape you're playing is an 8-track. So, the top is down and I've ejected your 8-track tape. Oh, I'm gonna do it - here it goes! I just threw your tape OUT THE WINDOW! You are done with it. And I don't want you to give it a second thought.

There's no should, no magic number, no special size or place where you will all of a sudden be happy. It doesn't exist, and the tape you've been playing is keeping you from your own reality. The tape has been telling you, "You're no good now, you've got to be 120 and a size 4 before you'll be happy." Well, let me tell you something...that is ridiculous! And that's why I threw your tape out. You're welcome.

As you're thinking about where you'd like to be, take a realistic look at where you are. And I mean get on the scale. Set your success in 5 pound increments (not 55 lb). Next, map out how you will accomplish your goal. "I will complete 45 minutes of cardio 6 times each week and decrease my calories by 200 per day." Done. You've just lost a pound this week. In 5 weeks, you'll set another goal. Reset your tape and find your success today. Let your new voice be heard!

No comments:

Post a Comment