Saturday, December 11, 2010

Unresolved New Year

by Kris Pitcher

I may be fighting my inner pessimist here, or a touch of the bah humbug. You know I work hard to keep her in check. But the season is upon us when all you good intentioned, real nice people are about to do something really stupid...make New Year's Resolutions. Do you remember your resolution from last year? I didn't think so. January was a long time ago, I'll give you that.

Maybe this year we could just agree to be unresolved. Here is one version of a top 10 list:

  1. Spend more time with family and friends - well, maybe this would work if we can figure out number 5
  2. Fit in fitness - not a bad idea; reduce our risk of disease, and help achieve our weight loss goals, oh number 3...
  3. Tame the bulge - 66% of Americans are overweight, see number 2
  4. Quit smoking - this is a biggie
  5. Enjoy life more - find work/life balance, hmm I'm skeptical but willing to give a European attitude a try (will you tell my boss I'll be on holiday for 7 weeks)
  6. Quit drinking - get some professional help here
  7. Get out of debt - this led you to number 6
  8. Learn something new - lifelong learning is a good idea
  9. Help others - volunteerism would make us feel good, but we're kind of wrapped up in 1-8 here
  10. Get organized - I think I tried that one January
My issue with resolutions is they are typically MAJOR life changes which we resolve to without really much thought or any plan. Setting ourselves up for failure is not a good idea. Skip it all together? Nope, you're not getting off that easy!

Here's a better way to resolve. Reflect over the past year. What has gone well? What would you like to work on? Is there something you'd like to adopt, or that you're ready to let go of? Be specific about what you want, and get started now. There's no sense in waiting until January, or even until Monday. Make choices right now that will lead you toward what you want. 

What am I working on? This might sound silly, but I'm working on my flexibility. I've got my cardio down, and you know I love my lifting, but flexibility is the piece I neglect. I'm not good at it so I don't like to do it. So, I'm working on it. Hardly worth claiming a, "resolution!" and I don't think of it that way at all. Try an unresolved approach this year, take the pressure off yourself for the New Year. You just might make some lasting changes!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment