Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The "S" Word

by Kris Pitcher


The "S" word is a topic suggested by the super awesome manager at Giorgio's Fitness, Melanie. She talks to people about their fitness goals and hears the "S" word over and over from women. It's equally disturbing and even offensive to hear it from men, so don't go calling any of us the "S" word. Thanks for the idea Mel!

I think when people say it, they don't even really know what they want. It's a word that has no meaning, it's a default word. Here's what the urban dictionary says about the "S" word: 
This is not my idea of a beautiful physique.
skinny: Something a lot of girls want to be, also known as perfection. No matter how thin some girls get, they will never be happy with their weight. The quest for "skinny" causes many problems like anorexia or bulimia. Of course, when thinness comes naturally, the girls who possess it get cocky and let their egos grow bigger than necessary.

To be more exact, to be skinny is to lack fat, bulk or to weigh or appear to weigh less than average. This does not make a person worth less or more!! Word up, kiddies!
"Oh my GOD! I am SO skinny!! Yes, you are skinny too, just not as skinny as me! Oh, I love being skinny! That means I am healthier, prettier and more attractive than you! Go throw up in a toilet, now!"

When a woman tells one of us she wants to be, "skinny" it's almost like being punched in the throat. It knocks the wind out of your sail, you feel disappointed, you thought you knew her better... It's a let down. What she's really saying is she doesn't want to be fat. That's very different though from being the "S" word. 

Is she saying, "I don't want to have any lean body mass." Or, "I don't want to have any tone to my muscles." Does she mean, "I want to permanently decrease my metabolism." Or, "I think I'll stop eating." 

I might just be an optimist, but I don't think so, I think the "S" word is a default. I think she's saying I'm tired of being fat. I'm tired of feeling tired, I want to increase my metabolism, have more energy and feel good. I want to look toned, and lean. That's what I think she means. But I could be all wrong, in which case I just want to slap her.  

Giorgio's Fitness is by the way not only one of the best gyms in Spokane, it is also home to Team Pitcher! 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that pesky "S" word. Yuck!

    Thanks for the plug, Kris. :-)
    -M

    ReplyDelete