Sunday, January 23, 2011

Are You Getting Enough?

by Kris Pitcher

My ideal recovery spot!
A self-professed home body, my weekends are all about recovery. People recharge in different ways. Some people feed off the energy of social engagements, crowds and go go go! Others re-fuel their soul with solitude.

Recovery is essential to making progress with your health and fitness goals. Regardless of your goals, rest and recovery are critical to forward progress. I feel a little sheepish when someone asks me about my weekend. It's pretty much the same...every weekend.

I sleep in as long as I can, which is usually about 6:00 AM if I'm lucky. Our day is filled with a workout (but no cardio for me), a nap, some laundry, grocery shopping, a movie with our feet up on the coffee table and I'm falling asleep by 9:00 PM. Not too exciting. But very restorative in my opinion. It's what I need to recharge and recover. Sunday is a repeat along with a visit to my parents' after our workout, and a little more organizing for the work week.

Recovery is about physical repair, and rest. It's when we actually get stronger, and realize the training effects of our work. It's when our body repairs tissue and replenishes energy stores. Rest days give us a mental break as well. It's important to build recovery into your training plan. Sometimes people feel like they can't take a day off. The risk? Over training, leading to injury and diminished performance.

More isn't better. Rest and recovery need to be part of your training plan. If you're not making gains, your progress has taken a halt, or you've just been spinning you wheels - it might be time to actually back off a little and make sure youre getting enough recovery in your training plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment