Sunday, January 16, 2011

Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies

by Kris Pitcher

What a beautiful cookie!
This recipe was shared by the super hip and creative Devon, who is the only photographer to ever make me look beautiful and glamorous.

Find her work at devon-kelley.com

It comes from allrecipes but I altered it quite a bit, so I'll give you my version. When I overheard her telling someone else about this cookie I knew it would make me the most coveted wife on earth should I make this for my husband. This could be the thing which catapults me to uber fame...at least within my household. Heat the oven to 350 and be prepared to find the way to your lovers heart!

Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies
6 slices maple-cured bacon, chopped
2/3 c sugar (original called for 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 c softened butter (original called for 1 cup)
4 oz. natural no sugar added apple sauce
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 c all-purpose flour
2/3 c cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 c dark chocolate chips (original called for simi-sweet)

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 F; cook bacon in skillet, drain on paper towels, chopp. Beat sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla &  apple sauce until smooth. Stir in four, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Mix in chocolate chips and bacon. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes in preheated oven. Let stand 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

*Decreasing the fat and sugar in baking is easy to do, replacing some of the moisture and sweetness with natural apple sauce works nicely. I buy the apple sauce in snack packs so I have the perfect premeasured amounts ready for baking. The recipe doesn't miss either of these ingredients. The cookies are plenty sweet and have a nice balance between sweet and savory. I can't wait for Jacques to try them!

1 comment:

  1. Holla! I am so glad you made these, and even better than the original. Jason did indeed think I was spectacular for making him bacon cookies. I'm excited to try your version, because I know your improvements will make me far beyond spectacular.

    ReplyDelete