Saturday, January 22, 2011

Realize Your Funk!

by Kris Pitcher

I need to talk to you...can I tell you something that might be difficult for you to hear? Let's just sit together, well actually if you'd sit over there. There's something I've been meaning to tell you, but I just haven't wanted to get felt we were close enough for me to say it until now.

I'll say this as nicely as I can. Your body odor is somewhat offensive. I realize you may not recognize the way you smell at the gym...sure, sure - you're right. People sweat at the gym. Everyone sweats at the gym. It's just you're extra smelly, like clear out the room smelly.

It's true, and there are a few at EVERY gym. In my previous life as a fitness facility Executive Director, I had to have conversations (a little gentler) like this with adults, smelly adults! Please make sure you are wearing your deodorant. Make sure you are showering daily with soap. Consider cotton fabrics rather than synthetics which bread bacteria. Bring 2 shirts if you sweat through one, change after your cardio before your lifting. Wear a fresh workout outfit each day. Don't leave dirty workout clothes in your gym bag. Wash your shoes in the washer and let them air dry. Shower with soap after you workout. Seriously.

Some of us are just smellier, or sweatier than others. It's just how it goes. It's a three alarm emergency if I forget my deodorant. Sweating is our body's air conditioning mechanism. It's natural and OK. It's essential. And then other people are just rotten inside! It's one thing to sweat out a little garlic, but there's some garbage eatin' bears out there in the gym. What are you people eating!?

This is a challenging issue, but one that gym management should be able to address individually with offenders. In my experience, people didn't realize their funk, and they took measures to correct it. I probably did them a huge social favor, and it sure helped the culture of the weight room! Don't be that guy, if the room clears out when you enter...realize your funk!

No comments:

Post a Comment