Friday, January 28, 2011

I Happen to Give a Crap

by Kris Pitcher

I thought I was pretty open...but I'm just going to come out and say it. I'm prejudice. If you're going to be offended you might just want to go to your happy place right now. Get in your bubble, and put your headphones in.

I am offended when I see people drink sugar pop. There I said it. Go ahead, hate me. I'm offended the same way as when I see someone smoking. I feel like they should be hiding behind the dumpster out back behind the building. It's just that we're too smart. We know way too much to be carrying on with this ridiculous habit.

So the first time I saw this lady at work drinking a sugar pop I thought - maybe she's celebrating. It was a pot-luck kind of deal. But then I saw her again and she had her pop concealed in one of those neoprene cooler sleeves, like you'd put your Bud Light in on a hot summer day! THIS IS A SMART WOMAN! What is wrong with her? Now I've seen her several times with her sugar pop, and she's just a sugar pop drinker.

She's height-weight proportionate in an averagely plump way. But the repercussions of sugar are only slightly about weight. Think about the depression of immune system, the insulin response and chemical overload on the pancreas, and the damage to the enamel on your teeth. The mood swings and dependancy, the road to diabetes - I am just surprised.

So, there you have it. I don't feel any better for having confided this secret. I know it's unrealistic to expect others to share my understanding or knowledge, or to give a crap. It's just hard not to wish better health on people around me. And I happen to give a crap.

1 comment:

  1. You go, girl! As long as it's not about caramel lattes I'm with you :D. (At least those have calcium.)

    ReplyDelete