Sunday, February 13, 2011

New Things

by Kris Pitcher

The sun was peeking through enough to warrant sunglasses as I pushed open the doors to the crisp air. I took the walkway winding right past my boss' window without a care. Across the street to the trail along the river, I was on a mission. This was a strange calling. Very unlike me...

I was surprised to see so many people on the trail. Not having stepped foot on it myself since November I had assumed it must be empty. But low and behold, even a bare foot runner! And you know how I feel about those guys. I hurried along feeling a little nervous.

You see, I was going macy's. Their one day sale advertisements combined with this wild hair of an idea I was having = mission bound. Those of you who remember the late 80's might recall we've had our stint with leggings. Oh, I had them in every color and pattern. And for those of you who are too young to have lived the leggings of the 80's, fashion does repeat itself. Trust me.

As you can imagine, my decisions are calculated. I'm not one for impulse. I had been considering the pros and cons of leggings for a week or so. Are leggings age appropriate? Should I wear them? Does my butt look fat? When I wore them the first time around...let's just say they grew with my body. I don't have good feelings about that. My legging memories are fragile.

These insecurities ran through my head as I walked along the river. Juxtaposed were thoughts that I should freshen my wardrobe. I should at least see what people are buying...this decade. If you know me at all you know I'm a thrift store junkie, and I hate to pay more than $10 for anything (your welcome honey).

I stood looking at the store directory for a moment, disoriented. Petites, third floor. Deep breath, here we go. Leggings...it's one item. Ooo, suits are two for $99 - distracted already I felt a little frazzled. Once I made it to the right section I wove myself through the racks of clothes. I was getting hot. Ladies were shopping with their husbands, happy as clams. The walls were closing in on me.

The leggings were against the wall. Various styles, some had buttons on the bottoms, zippers, lace...where was Cindy Lauper? $14.95 and I didn't like any of them. Oooo, a cute sweater to wear over the leggings. Pink, aqua, charcoal, I picked the black one in medium. I walked around with it for a while and found the clearance rack. I picked out a super cute dress in a size 10 to try. Into the fitting room I went.

The dress didn't begin to go over my shoulders and back. No go. I should know better than to try things on that aren't stretchy. Medium, also not me. OK. This is hard and I have to pee. Still no leggings. I buy the sweater in a large. I'm a large. Thank you lat pulldowns for doing what I wanted.

I wandered around a little bit more wondering how anyone knows what to buy, what goes with what, and how anyone ever finds anything that fits. I had wound my way around so much I thought I'd need a GPS to find my way out. Once I got outside I was relieved as I marched back to work along the trail with my purchase.

A creature of habit - I hit the mega-lo-mart walked right up to the Danskin display and breathed a sigh of relief. Leggings! Three lengths, two colors, 5 sizes, $8. I found my medium leggings and I was out of there. And, done.

Friday, I wore my super cute sweater with my leggings and soaked in the compliments. Sometimes we have to try things, new things, things that push our comfort zone. We have to be willing to be uncomfortable, disoriented, and a little bit confused. We have to branch out, wonder if something is going to work for us, and at least try. When we give it a good try, it usually works out - and it's worth it!  

1 comment:

  1. You did look very cute, Friday! And, if you have any more small sized clothes to give away, think of your wimpy, not much muscles, sista!
    ~Megan

    ReplyDelete