Friday, February 4, 2011

Mix It Up!

by Kris Pitcher

We had what I would call a successful Ground Hog's Day in which an early spring was predicted. With this renewed hope comes a sense of needing to mix things up. Winter can get a little stir crazy for people and I be you might just be needing a lift right about now. You've been doing great with your plan and February has arrived. What time is it?

It's time to mix it up! Our bodies adapt to stimulus pretty quickly. In order to make progression, we need to change the stimulus. I know, I know. We don't like change. But, if we want to keep making progress...it's time to do something different. I changed my purse twice this week. I found a lip gloss, and a really nice pen. So, change is good. Let's go!

I love the step mill!
Let's mix up your cardio. If you're a treadmill zombie, like me - it's time to add the spice of life, variety! It doesn't matter what you do, just change it up. I recently branched out and started using the stepper, and the elliptical. Seems pretty wild, right?

Try one of those classes you've been eyeing the gym. Get in the pool to swim, just mix it up. Simply doing a hill climb program rather than the flat-line manual program is enough to shake things around. This gives your brain a boost too.

The idea is to change the stimulus, keeping your muscles and cardiovascular system guessing as to what you're doing. It gives you variety, and keeps you from being lulled into a coma. People quit because they get bored and sick of the same thing. Well, I tell you what...do something different. The simple trick of mixing it up, will keep you in the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment