Thursday, February 17, 2011

Lose a Pound a Day - Without Dieting!

by Kris Pitcher

You've no doubt seen the claims. Lose a pound a day without dieting! False hope, quick cures and promises of cure-alls. Desperate people will try desperate measures and spare no cost. Miracle weight loss! Really? A miracle?

I can believe how it happens. We get to our wits ends...I struggle with my skin. Blemishes pop up and poke out at the worst times. I've tried antibiotics, retin-A...my bathroom drawer is like a wasteland of prescription tubes. Salicylic acid, heat treatments, and exfoliating scrubs. Shoot, I'd rub dog do on my face if you told me it would cure my acne.

"Scientific Breakthrough!", "Revolutionary Innovation!", "Exclusive Product!", "Secret Ingredients!", "Ancient Remedy!" All a bunch of red flags.

So, how do you know if you're being shim shammed? Taken for a scam? You see the 'before' and 'after' photos in the magazines surrounded by claims selling you the latest greatest product that is going to solve your weight problem, forever. Drink this tea, take this pill, do this cleanse...

With miracle cures around every corner here are a few questions to ask yourself before a fool you part with your money.

  • Does it come with a money back guarantee based on unrealistic, yet hard to prove, promises?
  • Does the claim go against the understanding of modern science and medicine?
  • Does it claim to cure a large number of medical conditions that are unrelated?
  • Does the product's claims have no scientific proof and information about the product is only available through their website?
  • Is the marketing sales copy over-reliant on phrases like 'fast relief', 'amazing results', 'natural', and contain a lot of unsubstantiated customer testimonials?
These kinds of questions can and should raise some red flags. Yes, I am a skeptic. My skepticism comes from my knowledge and understanding of exercise science, human physiology and anatomy. Miracle products typically are not tested, evaluated, or approved for quality or effectiveness by any appropriate or qualified board certified body.

My skin is getting better. And not because I've been rubbing dog do on it. I did some research which clued me in to the fact that too much exfoliation was making me a big mess. But there was a point where I would have done almost anything...almost.

Miracle cures produce billions of dollars in revenue to less than ethical people. Victims are left with their problems, empty promises and empty pockets. It's very discouraging for me to see people waste their money on a quick fix that won't work.

Keep doing the right things as you work to reach your health and fitness goals. It's hard work and it takes time. It's what we do each day over our lifetime that determines our overall health over time. There is no Easter Bunny (sorry), and there is no miracle weight loss cure. Oh, and don't put dog do on your acne.   

No comments:

Post a Comment