Friday, March 18, 2011

Eating Well, On The Road

by Kris Pitcher

Travel can really throw your schedule for a loop. But eating well on the road isn't as hard as you think. With a  little planning, preparation, and shameless public indulgence you'll be a pro in no time.

The first assumption I'm making is you have an eating plan. This might be a wild one, but we've got to start somewhere. When I travel, I try to stay as close to my plan as possible - knowing there will be concessions. And by that I mean give and take, not cotton candy.

We're flying, and staying in a hotel. These will be the guidelines for our tips today. Driving and staying in a condo or with friends is easy-peazy, you can figure that out.

I'm a mid range hotel kind of gal. If it doesn't have an in-room coffee maker, that's a deal breaker. My preference is a mini fridge and microwave too, but the key to the mini bar will do in a pinch.

Before you go you need to do some research. What restaurants are near your hotel? Where is the nearest grocery store, or market? Even a convenience store will have a few things you can get by on. If you'll have a rental car your range is extended. Otherwise you're looking within safe walking distance, or public transportation route.

Pack smart and think ahead. Oatmeal for breakfast? Great, take your own. I measure out my 1/4 cup and put it in a snack size zipper bag. That in-room coffee maker...you are urban camping my friend. Make yourself a cup of hot water, pour it on your oats and wait five minutes. (I even put cinnamon in mine - just like at home!) Gone for three days, take three baggies. Getting the hang of this?

I add protein powder to my oatmeal. I take a gallon baggie with enough powder servings for however many days I need. Easy enough. Now I've controlled my breakfast meal. Get yourself to the grocery store and look for pre-cooked items, cold cuts, yogurts, even hard boiled eggs. Whatever is on your plan. If you have an in-room refrigerator you are set. If not, you will need to make multiple trips, and make use of your ice bucket. Keep in mind you can't store anything cold for any amount of time with your ice bucket.

The day of travel can be tricky. I rarely check a bag anymore. It's become an expensive hassle. There are some decent choices at the airport, but I'd rather just take what I need. I pre-measure my chicken and put it in zipper baggies. For a full day of travel I would take five baggies. Three of them I will freeze.

In the morning, I pack the two I haven't frozen on top of the three I have. By the late afternoon or evening the frozen ones are thawed out. I eat these throughout the day, on schedule (that's the shameless public indulgence part). When the friendly airline attendant is handing you your half ounce cereal mix...I'm eating chicken and oatmeal. Yes, I have made oatmeal with a cup of coffee in flight. Crazy looks? I don't care.

You need to have hand wipes, a plastic fork, some napkins. You can always get a salad, cut veggies, fruit etc. to go along with your protein. It's the protein I find so challenging to get on the road. And sometimes you just barely make your connection, let alone a side trip to find food at the airport. Restaurants will prepare things however you want, you just need to ask. No salt, butter etc. Make good choices off the menu and you'll be fine.

You need to be organized, plan ahead, and take a big purse! Happy and healthy eating on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment