Saturday, July 14, 2012

Clean Eats, Sweet Potato-Apple Waffles

by Kris Pitcher

Last week I made a big decision. Those of you who know me, know that on Saturday's I lock the doors, draw the shades and indulge in a homemade pizza. I don't brag about many things...but I make a really good pizza.

I make the dough by hand, kneading it for 8 full minutes - after my arm workout day...with sore triceps. I'm committed to this pizza.

This meal is my weekly "cheat" meal or re-feed meal. But last week after enjoying my most delicious pizza I looked in the mirror on Sunday and came to my decision. No more wheat.

The time has come in my prep to re-feed with the fuel that I will load with come contest time. Thus the decision to switch my meal. Don't worry though, I will still lock the doors and pull the shades.

This week (insert big reveal) we're having waffles! And here's what I'm fixing tonight:

Sweet Potato-Apple Waffles
1 C rice flour
1 C rolled oats
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 C sweet potato (previously baked)
3 egg whites
1/2 C applesauce (unsweetened, natural, nothing added)

Mix it all up (add water to make appropriate consistency if it's too thick) and pour onto heated waffle iron. No, I'm not going to figure out the nutritional information for you...it's a cheat meal. A clean cheat meal. I made up the recipe and I'm going to enjoy the crap out of it tonight.

I will be putting some (not a lot) peanut butter on top, and probably some sugar free syrup (although it will give me gas...). Is it night time yet? Enjoy your waffles anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment